Retirement is a new stage of life. Retirement creates a new opportunity of time spent and purpose. Many people write something sincere, but you can write a funny message too. Keep in mind that retirees can have mixed feelings about leaving the workforce. For some, retirement is bittersweet while others may only see it as a chance for freedom from the daily grind.
What to Write in a Retirement Card
- You did many important things while at work. The setting of your work is changing, but your value is not.
- I am glad someone so deserving gets to retire!
- Have a fun, lively, and interesting retirement!
- What? Are you old enough to be retiring?
- Enjoy the Social Security. You've contributed to it plenty!
- I would be happy for you if I wasn't so envious.
- I hope you put in just as much hard work during your retirement making it as enjoyable as possible.
- I'm impressed by your long career! May you have a long retirement!
- I hope you get to have a kick back and take it easy for a while. You deserve it.
- Even though you’re leaving us, we know you’ll have a great time. Retiring is not a sad ending. It’s a chance to let loose and totally unwind.
- Even though you’re through with work, we know you’ll keep yourself busy doing whatever you want.
- Congratulations on your retirement. Have an adventure in your new life of freedom.
- Celebrate an end of an era and the start of a brand new chapter.
- You’ve been a valued member of our team, and we wish you the very best.
- We know you’ll be successful in this bright new future adventure.
- Retirement is life’s encore. You’ve put in an awe inspiring performance, and now it’s time to take a bow and get on with the real show.
- Congratulations on your retirement. Your experience, knowledge, dedication and presence will be sorely missed.
- Don’t be alarmed. You’re retiring from your 9 to 5, but not from life.
- We have faith in you, and we know you’ll succeed in this brand new journey.
- We still can’t imagine working here without you, but I guess we’ll have to manage somehow. Thank you for your years of dedicated service.
- Now that you’re retired, you have time for nobler things like golf, knitting, and working here as a volunteer.
- You’re starting a new journey and exceptional chapter of your life. I hope your days will be filled with elation and triumph.
- All your hard work and years of service have finally paid off. Enjoy your new free time doing all the things that you want to do.
- If you never had to work another day in your life, what would you do? That's the question for which you will soon find the answer.
Funny Things to Say to Wish Someone a Happy Retirement
- There's one thing you should never do when you're retired. Never WORK! You won't get paid anymore.
- I would like to extend my condolences to your employer for the devastating loss. Happy retirement!
- Usually words that start with "re" mean more than once, but I'm hoping that you can just "tire" without having to do it again.
- You've worked yourself out of a job and had to let your boss go. Way to go!
- You better work harder than you've ever worked in your life. Your retirement is your new mission!
- Word of your retirement got around and the company’s stock prices have soared. Everyone knows that they can hire someone, younger, smarter, and harder working to do two times the work you used to do at half the cost. Congratulations to you and the shareholders!
- It seems that you spend most of your working years trying to focus on the positives of your job to make it bearable. Now it’s time to focus on all the negatives about working to make your retirement more pleasurable.
- You are retired but not expired!
- When you think about the millions that you have made during your working years, it almost makes it seem worth it that you gave up a third of your life to be a slave to the corporation. Congratulations on the end of your servitude!
- Retirement is just practice for the rest and relaxation you’ll get in heaven, but I think you need a lot of practice here on Earth.
- Now that you are done making the world a better place through your career, you have bigger and better things to focus on. You can make a big difference in your grandkids' lives. We’re looking forward to spending some of your extra time with you.
- Retirement is not a work status, it’s an attitude.
- If you break down the word re-tired, it seems like it should be about getting tired for a second time.
Messages for Coworkers
- It was a pleasure working with you and getting to know you. Have an awesome retirement!
- I wish you an amazing retirement, even though I feel a little jealous that it's not me retiring.
- If anyone deserves a great retirement it's you. You have worked hard for so many years. Best wishes!
- I hope you continue your retirement, since you started your retirement unofficially long ago.
- You never really get to retire, you just get a new boss. Good luck with your new boss.
- Just think. Retirement is the last life milestone before you... Never mind.
- Have fun with all the stuff you plan to do during your retirement.
- Best wishes with your new full time jobs fishing, tinkering around, or playing golf.
- I wish you tons of extra time to spend with family and friends. Happy retirement!
- Expect me to drop the grand kids off a lot more often now that I know you will have a lot more time.
- I hope your retirement is the best time of your life! Enjoy!
- I would sincerely wish you a happy retirement if I wasn't so jealous of you. So I will insincerely wish you a happy retirement.
- You deserve to retire almost as much as me. You're the second hardest worker I know!
- I might still need to call you for work advice. I hope you don't mind doing some consulting work.
- I will be a little more difficult around here without you, but I'll try to manage. It'll be one more reason for me to look forward to my own retirement.
- Retirement is the reward you get for putting up with coworkers like me for many years. I wish you the best!
- There's no way retirement will be more fun than working with me, but I'll say good luck anyway.
- It will be so much easier now that you are gone. At least I'll only have my own work to do now. Just kidding!
- Even though I'll miss you, I am glad you're leaving. Now I know all the secrets you know about me are safe.
- Great! Now I have to do all the work alone. Your retirement better be worth it!
- I always knew you'd be the first one of us to leave.
- Here's to endless days of golf, wasting time out by the lake, reading, or whatever you want to do.
- Out of all the employees here, I'm glad that I got to work with you. You will be missed!
- Through tough bosses, crazy schedules and increasing requirements, I looked forward to seeing your smiling face each day! I'm honored to have spent time working with you and I hope your retirement is wonderful!
- Thank you for taking the time to mentor me when I was new. Congratulations!
- Thanks for being such a great coworker and a great friend. I'm glad you'll still be my friend, even though I'm losing you as a coworker.
- Just because you're retiring doesn't mean you have to be a stranger. Keep in touch.
For a Retiring Boss
When your boss retires, you can be left in a better situation or a worse situation. If you're getting the boss a card, we can assume he or she was a good boss.
- Keep working just as hard and I'm sure you'll have a productive retirement.
- We wish you the best. We hope your retirement is filled with happiness!
- There are awful bosses, okay bosses, good bosses, and then the type you are. You're the type that I hope has a happy retirement.
- You have been the best leader I have worked for. Even though I am sad to see you go, I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Have a blessed retirement!
- You are an inspiration to your employees, and you have always kept our best interest at heart. Thank you for your leadership. Now enjoy your retirement.
- Go tackle life head on and make the most of your retirement!
- Out of all the bosses in the world, I am honored to say I worked for you. May your retirement be even better than time spent here!
For a Retiring Parent
- I am grateful for the dedication you have had for our family, which translated to dedication to your job.
- We are so glad to see you get your turn at relaxing after raising a family and working so many years!
- I love it when people I love get to retire!
- Finally, you get to take some time to catch up on what's new with the grand kids!
- Just because you are leaving the workforce doesn't mean you won't have a boss. You'll still have someone to tell you what to do at home.
Inspire a retiree to continue enjoying life and pursuing things of great meaning with one of these meaningful and inspirational retirement wishes.
- Even though you are no longer accountable to a human boss, you still have a purpose that was planned by your creator.
- Even though you are retiring, I know you will find a way to make a positive difference in the world. It's just who you are.
- This is not the end for you. As a chapter of your life ends a new one begins and we all wish you a very happy and fulfilling retirement.
- I can't wait to see what great things you do during retirement. If I know you, you'll come up with something spectacular.
- You have been a true treasure to your coworkers and this company. You will be missed. We hope your retirement is wonderful!
- You have been a valued asset at this company, and we are sad to see you go.
- Invest your time meaningfully!
- Though your time here is finished at work, we know God has greater plans for you elsewhere. Keep in touch and don't forget about us.