Famous Quotes About Anger
These are famous quotes about anger hand-picked to be of high quality. All of these have a lot to say and would work for discussions in anger management groups. Many could also be a good compliment to quotes about forgiveness.
- "Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare," -Proverbs 22:24-25
- "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame." -Benjamin Franklin
- "Keep cool and you command everybody." -St. Just
- "When angry, count ten before you speak; if very angry, count a hundred." -Jefferson
- "When angry, count four; when very angry, swear." -Mark Twain
- "Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die." -Malachy McCourt
- "Don't hold to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love." -Leo Buscaglia
- "No man can think clearly when his fists are clenched." -George Jean Nathan
- "An angry man is again angry with himself when he returns to reason." -Publius Syrus
- "Always write angry letters to your enemies. Never mail them." -James Fallows
- "If you are patient in a moment of anger, you will escape one hundred days of sorrow." -Chinese Proverb
- "It is wise to direct your anger towards problems — not people; to focus your energies on answers — not excuses." -William Arthur Ward
- "You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger." -Buddha
- "The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk." -Jacqueline Schiff
- "He who angers you conquers you." -Elizabeth Kenny
- "Anger is an expensive luxury in which only men of a certain income can indulge." -G. W. Curtis
- "Anger is a bad counselor." -French Proverb
- "Anger ventilated often hurries towards forgiveness; anger concealed often hardens into revenge." -Bulwer
- "Angry is just sad's bodyguard." -Unknown
- "When anger rises, think of the consequences." -Confucius
- "The greatest remedy for anger is delay." -Seneca
- "Anger begins in folly, and ends in repentance." -Pythagoras
- "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." -Mark Twain
- "When you let anger get the best of you, it brings out the worst in you." -Unknown
- "Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath." -Eckhart Tolle
- "Don't be angry with people who don't have the capacity to change." -Unknown
- "It's a lot easier to be angry at someone than to tell them you're hurt." Tom Gates
- "The fire you kindle for your enemy often burns yourself more than him." Chinese Proverb
- "Anger will help you survive for a while, but it'll eat you alive." -Unknown
- "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." -Proverbs 29:11
- "Beware of the fury of a patient man." -Dryden
- "Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm." -Unknown
- "Anger held inside becomes hate." -Gary Chapman
- "Consider, when you are enraged at anyone, what you would probably think if he should die during the dispute." -Shenstone
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." -Buddha
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." -Ambrose Bierce
"Forgive others, not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace." -Jonathan Lockwood Huie
Original Sayings about Anger
These were created exclusively for WishesMessagesSayings to illustrate the nature of anger and how it relates to forgiveness, self control, motivation, and wisdom.
- Anger produces the drive that is required to do great evil or great good. The question isn’t whether you’ll have anger, but what it will motivate you to do.
- Anger steals energy from your body, mind, and soul that could be used for love, compassion, and creativity.
- Anger is a contagious disease. Practicing forgiveness regularly is the only way to keep your immunity up.
- Controlling your temper is like controlling the head of a poisonous snake. Slow movements are safer.
- Expression of rage in public is a public admission of failure to control anger. There’s no denying it.
- The key to controlling anger isn’t about having a longer fuse. It’s about having a smaller bomb to begin with.
- No matter what you try to blame on others, your anger is our own. You are the only person responsible for your reaction.
- Although anger and breathing are natural human actions, no one can make you do either and you can somewhat control both.
- Anger does have its purpose. It is necessary for survival. The problem is that many people think their lives are in danger too often.
- Anger may appear in a split second, but sometimes it can last an entire lifetime.
- Potential for great anger may be your weakness, but you may find that it is also your greatest strength.
- If anger knocks on your door, and you didn’t invite him, then don’t let him in. It’s better to have a little annoyance outside than torment inside.
- If love didn’t exist, then there would be no reason or need to hate. If hate didn’t exist, then there would be no reason to love.
- An angry man is an arsonist seeking to spread the fire of anger and burn others. Walk away and let him burn alone.
- Hidden anger poisons the soul, depresses the spirit, and weakens the body.
- He who has the wisdom to calm an angry man with the words of his mouth has the power to bring peace to warring nations.
- Anger is the seed of revolution. Those in power plant that seed when they treat their subjects unfairly. In time the harvest will be reaped.
- Finding a reason to be angry is easy. Finding a reason that is worth getting angry about is more difficult.
- Anger feeds and eats more anger. The only way to be sure to kill it is to starve it.
- Anger cannot speak and listen at the same time. Do not waste your words on an angry man.
- Wisdom is a strong protective fortress that shields against the fierce and flaming arrows of angry words.
- Anger is a fire that originates internally. No matter what is done with that fire, you always burn yourself at least a little bit.
- Forgiveness is the only drink that can quench the never ending thirst of a grudge.
- Forgetting an offense is foolish, lest you be hurt in the same way again. Remember an offense too often is a foolish waste of energy. Remembering a relevant offense only when it is relevant is wise.
- Anger lowers I.Q. immediately.
- Anger is the folly of the fool and the tool of the wise.
- Anger is a monster living in your ear canals yelling, “Are you going to take this?”
- Sarcasm is like anger that is spilled in another man’s shoes. It may feel fine at first, but he will curse you when he gets blisters.