Quotes about Anger
These are famous quotes about anger hand-picked to be of high quality. All of these have a lot to say and would work for discussions in anger management groups. Many could also be a good compliment to quotes about forgiveness.
- "Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare," -Proverbs 22:24-25
- "Whate'ers begun in anger ends in shame." -Benjamin Franklin
- "When angry, count four; when very angry, swear." -Mark Twain
- "Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die." -Malachy McCourt
- "Don't hold to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love." -Leo Buscaglia
- "No man can think clearly when his fists are clenched." -George Jean Nathan
- "Always write angry letters to your enemies. Never mail them." -James Fallows
- "If you are patient in a moment of anger, you will escape one hundred days of sorrow." -Chinese Proverb
- "It is wise to direct your anger towards problems — not people; to focus your energies on answers — not excuses." -William Arthur Ward
- "You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger." -Buddha
- "The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk." -Jacqueline Schiff
- "He who angers you conquers you." -Elizabeth Kenny
- "Anger is a bad counselor." -French Proverb
- "Angry is just sad's bodyguard." -Unknown
- "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." -Mark Twain
- "When you let anger get the best of you, it brings out the worst in you." -Unknown
- "Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath." -Eckhart Tolle
- "Don't be angry with people who don't have the capacity to change." -Unknown
- "It's a lot easier to be angry at someone than to tell them you're hurt." Tom Gates
- "Anger will help you survive for a while, but it'll eat you alive." -Unknown
- "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." -Proverbs 29:11
- "Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm." -Unknown
- "Anger held inside becomes hate." -Gary Chapman
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." -Buddha
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." -Ambrose Bierce
"Forgive others, not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace." -Jonathan Lockwood Huie
Original Sayings about Anger
These quotes about anger were not spoken by famous people, but these sayings may still be useful for you. These were created by Blake Flannery to illustrate the nature of anger and how it relates to forgiveness, self control, motivation, and wisdom. Hopefully these will inspire you to make a change in your life. Feel free to use these anger sayings for your personal or educational use.
- Anger produces the drive that is required to do great evil or great good. The question isn’t whether you’ll have anger, but what it will motivate you to do.
- Anger steals energy from your body, mind, and soul that could be used for love, compassion, and creativity.
- Anger is a contagious disease. Practicing forgiveness regularly is the only way to keep your immunity up.
- Controlling your temper is like controlling the head of a poisonous snake. Slow movements are safer.
- Expression of rage in public is a public admission of failure to control anger. There’s no denying it.
- The key to controlling anger isn’t about having a longer fuse. It’s about having a smaller bomb to begin with.
- No matter what you try to blame on others, your anger is our own. You are the only person responsible for your reaction.
- Although anger and breathing are natural human actions, no one can make you do either and you can somewhat control both.
- Anger does have its purpose. It is necessary for survival. The problem is that many people think their lives are in danger too often.
- Anger may appear in a split second, but sometimes it can last an entire lifetime.
- Potential for great anger may be your weakness, but you may find that it is also your greatest strength.
- If anger knocks on your door, and you didn’t invite him, then don’t let him in. It’s better to have a little annoyance outside than torment inside.
- If love didn’t exist, then there would be no reason or need to hate. If hate didn’t exist, then there would be no reason to love.
- An angry man is an arsonist seeking to spread the fire of anger and burn others. Walk away and let him burn alone.
- Hidden anger poisons the soul, depresses the spirit, and weakens the body.
- He who has the wisdom to calm an angry man with the words of his mouth has the power to bring peace to warring nations.
- Anger is the seed of revolution. Those in power plant that seed when they treat their subjects unfairly. In time the harvest will be reaped.
- Finding a reason to be angry is easy. Finding a reason that is worth getting angry about is more difficult.
- Anger feeds and eats more anger. The only way to be sure to kill it is to starve it.
- Anger cannot speak and listen at the same time. Do not waste your words on an angry man.
- Wisdom is a strong protective fortress that shields against the fierce and flaming arrows of angry words.
- Anger is a fire that originates internally. No matter what is done with that fire, you always burn yourself at least a little bit.
- Forgiveness is the only drink that can quench the never ending thirst of a grudge.
- Forgetting an offense is foolish, lest you be hurt in the same way again. Remember an offense too often is a foolish waste of energy. Remembering a relevant offense only when it is relevant is wise.
- Anger lowers I.Q. immediately.
- Anger is the folly of the fool and the tool of the wise.
- Anger is a monster living in your ear canals yelling, “Are you going to take this?”
- Sarcasm is like anger that is spilled in another man’s shoes. It may feel fine at first, but he will curse you when he gets blisters.