Retirement Wishes, Messages, and Sayings
When someone retires, you may not know what to write in their retirement card. These retirement card messages are great examples you can use to help you figure out what to write. Many of them are sincere, but remember, you can write a funny retirement message too.
Funny Retirement Wishes
Funny Retirement Wishes
- There's one thing you should never do when you're retired. You should never WORK!
- I would like to extend my condolences to your employer for the devastating loss. Happy retirement!
- Usually words that start with "re" mean more than once, but I'm hoping that you can just "tire" without having to do it again.
- You've worked yourself out of a job and had to let your boss go. Way to go!
- You better work harder than you've ever worked in your life. Your retirement is your new mission!
- Word of your retirement got around and the company’s stock prices have soared. Everyone knows that they can hire someone, younger, smarter, and harder working to do two times the work you used to do at half the cost. Congratulations to you and the shareholders for your retirement.
- It seems that you spend most of your working years trying to focus on the positives of your job to make it bearable. Now it’s time to focus on all the negatives about working to make your retirement more pleasurable. Here’s to the bad times you had at work.
- Retired but not expired!
- When you think about the millions that you have made during your working years, it almost makes it seem worth it that you gave up a third of your life to be a slave to the corporation. Congratulations on the end of your servitude!
- Retirement is just practice for the rest and relaxation you’ll get in heaven.
- Now that you are done making the world a better place through your career, you have bigger and better things to focus on such as making a big difference in your grandkid’s lives. We’re looking forward to spending some of your extra time with you.
- Retirement is not a work status, it’s an attitude.
- I’m hoping that you are even more active and hard working toward your retirement than you were working all those years before your retirement. Congratulations.
- Here’s to your impressive career, and to your new laid back life. Enjoy your retirement, after all, you’ve worked hard for it.
- Even though you’re leaving us, we know you’ll have a great time. Retiring is not an end to life, it’s a chance to let loose and totally unwind.
- Even though you’re through with work, we know you’ll be busier than ever. After all, there is no rest for the wicked!
- Congratulations on your retirement. May your new life be an adventure. Here’s to an end of an era and to the start of a brand new chapter.
- You’ve been a valued member of our team, and we wish you the very best. We know you’ll be successful in this adventure, because retiring is not an end to life, is a chance to throw off your shackles and roar.
- Retirement is like life’s encore. You’ve put in an awe inspiring performance, and now it’s time to take a bow and get on with the real show.
- Congratulations on your retirement. Your experience, knowledge, dedication and presence will be sorely missed. Best of luck in your brand new adventure.
- Don’t be alarmed. You’re retiring from your 9 to 5, but not from life. We have faith in you, and we know you’ll succeed in this, your brand new journey.
- We still can’t imagine working here without you, but I guess we’ll have to manage somehow. Thank you for your years of dedicated service.
- Now that you’re retired you have time for nobler things like golf, knitting or working here as a volunteer.
- You’re starting a new journey and exceptional chapter of your life. May your days be filled with elation and triumph. We thank you for your integrity and dedication. And congratulate you on your retirement.
Here are some more examples of retirement wishes that you can use for your card messages, speech, toast, sms, or any other purpose. These are general retirement wishes that can be use on most retirees, but you can edit them to fit your retiree and make it a more personal message. Use these retirement wishes to help you know what to write in a card, SMS, letter, or say in person. Some are funny and others are sincere.
- All of your hard work and years of service have finally paid off. Congratulations on your retirement. Enjoy your new free time doing all the things that you want to do.
- You did a lot of important things while at work, and I am hoping that you continue to do a lot of important things in your retirement.
- It was a pleasure working with you and getting to know you. Have an awesome retirement.
- Wishing you an awesome retirement, even though I feel a little jealous that it's you and not me.
- If anyone deserves a great retirement it's you. You have worked hard for so many years. Best wishes
- Wishing you a continuation of your retirement, since you started your retirement unofficially long ago.
- You never really get to retire, you just get a new boss. Best wishes with your new boss.
- Just think, retirement is the last life milestone before you... Never mind,
- Wishing you fun with all the stuff you plan to do during your retirement.
- Best wishes with your new full time jobs, fishing and playing golf.
- I am wishing you tons of extra time to spend with family and friends. Happy Retirement!
- Expect me to drop the grand kids off a lot more often now that I know you will have a lot more time. Happy Retirement.
- Wishing that your retirement is the best time of your life! Happy retirement. Enjoy!
- I would sincerely wish you a happy retirement if I wasn't so jealous of you. So I will insincerely wish you a happy retirement.
What to Say to Someone Who is Retiring
Here's a video of someone named Darlene who is retiring from working in the Minneapolis Public Schools. You can get some great ideas of candid responses of people who are asked to give her some retirement wishes on camera.
These are perfect examples of what you could use to say in person, write in a card, or even use in a retirement congratulations speech. Notice some people give very personal messages, others try to be funny, and some just give a general average retirement wish.
Use your personality to figure out what to write in your retirement card for someone. The person retiring will enjoy it the more personal you make your message, so try to fit in something that is unique to the person just like some of the people on the video. For examples, one person says, "You've saved my life like 12 times." This is going to be more meaningful than just saying, "have fun during your retirement."